Looking for a newsfeed of the latest Thoughts on Tone posts? Click here
The Thoughts on Tone blog is here to help you better understand your guitar and to aid you in the never-ending tone quest. Just click the title of the article you are interested in below to be taken to the relevant page.
How things work/explaining your guitar:
- How do guitar pickups work? (Under construction)
- Onboard guitar buffers - how they work and their benefits
- Why does the same pickup sound different in the neck and bridge position?
- Why are the neck and bridge version of the same pickup wound differently?
- Do metal pickup covers affect tone? If so how? (Under construction)
- What is the difference between a humbucker and a trembucker?
- What are the differences between a stratocster neck and a telecaster neck pickup?
- Do humbuckers and trembuckers of the same model sound different? (Under construction)
- What is a "tapped" strat or tele guitar pickup and how does it sound?
- What is RWRP pickup wiring and should I get a set with it?
The tone search:
- How do I improve my guitar's tone if I cannot afford new pickups?
- What Tele neck pickups sound the most like a Strat neck pickup?
- Does DiMarzio really own the trademark for double cream pickups?
- What are Seymour Duncan Antiquity pickups and how to they differ from non-antiquity pickups?
- Is the "cream" color for DiMarzio and Seymour Duncan pickups the same?
Don't see an article you are looking for? Check out our How-Tos and our FAQs sections and, if you still can't find what you're looking for, please feel free to Contact Us to ask a question or request an article. These articles do take a good amount of time to research and write, but we will get to your request as soon as possible.